CFA: Leadership Workshop for Syrian Women in Civil Society
Deadline: August 26, 2016
Call for Applications
Asfari Foundation – Columbia Global Centers | Istanbul
Leadership Workshop for Syrian Women in Civil Society
26 August 2016
The Asfari Foundation and Columbia Global Centers | Istanbul are pleased to invite Syrian women who are in leadership positions within Syrian civil society organizations to a workshop which will be held in Istanbul between September 29 and October 3, 2016.
The workshop aims to nurture, support and strengthen the leadership capacity and resilience of women civil society executives who are serving vulnerable refugee populations in the region. As a result of the conflict in the region, many Syrian women have been thrust to the forefront of relief efforts, assuming considerable responsibility both for understanding and meeting the needs of refugees while also building and representing organizations operating in an increasingly complex and under-resourced landscape. While the roles women play are crucial, few opportunities exist for them to develop the kinds of support mechanisms, skills and capacities that will enable them to continue growing and developing as professionals and as change-makers.
The five-day workshop will blend leadership training, self-care and peer-to-peer support, through a series of modules that will be led by experienced facilitators and trainers from the region. Time will also be given over the five days for rest and relaxation and exchange, socializing within the group, and for personal reflection. As this is a pilot program, participants will be able to offer their input in the selection of content of the modules and will be asked to contribute and share their feedback in order to improve the program going forward.
The workshop program intends to cover a combination of the following areas and objectives:
- Management Training: strengthen capacities in leadership, teambuilding, staff management, strategic planning, financial management, communications, debriefing,
- Networking: develop opportunities to connect with and share experiences with Syrian and other organizations and individuals undertaking work in related fields,
- Long-term support: explore avenues to establish frameworks for on-going mentorship and peer-to-peer support as well as methods of self-care, self-management and dealing with trauma.
The workshop will convene ten Syrian women leading Syrian civil society organizations serving Syrians in Turkey and Lebanon.
The program will cover all related costs including travel to and from the workshop venue, accommodation as well as costs for local travel, excursions/social activities, lunches and dinners.
Interested individuals should possess the following qualifications:
- Applicants should be executives or senior-level staff working in a leadership position in Syrian civil society or humanitarian contexts. Priority will be given to women who are working directly with Syrian refugee populations in Turkey.
- Applicants should be open to a participatory learning format, which will consist of active sharing, reflection and exchange on both personal and professional levels with other workshop participants
- Participants should have a good grasp of both English and Arabic. Workshop facilitators will be able to communicate in both languages.
To apply, kindly send the following to Rana Zincir Celal (Columbia Global Centers | Istanbul, firstname.lastname@example.org) by August 26, 2016:
- An up-to-date CV
- Completed application form (see the link)
Application deadline: August 26, 2016
Telephone interviews with short-listed applications: Week of August 29, 2016
Notification of acceptance: September 9, 2016
Workshop: September 29 – October 3, 2016
For any questions, please contact:
Rana Zincir Celal, Columbia Global Centers | Istanbul, Senior Program Manager, email@example.com.