CFA: Call for Transitional Justice Experts on South Sudan
Joint Monitoring and Evaluation Commission (JMEC)
Thematic Special Advisor: Transitional Justice (1)
Terms of Reference
Reporting to the Deputy Chief of Staff (Strategy, Monitoring and Evaluation), the Thematic Special Advisor for Transitional Justice shall manage the work of the JMEC in the thematic area of Transitional Justice, Accountability, Reconciliation and Healing, as per the ARCSS. The Thematic Special Advisor must have competence and experience to effectively monitor and evaluate the work of the transitional institutions relevant to transitional justice, accountability, reconciliation and healing arrangements of the Agreement. He/she will be the primary JMEC liaison with counterpart ministries, institutions and agencies in the Transitional Government of National Unity (TGoNU), and shall participate in the work of JMEC’s thematic Transitional Justice, Accountability, Reconciliation and Healing working committee and working groups as established.
The Thematic Special Advisor should have considerable expertise and experience in the field of transitional justice, truth and reconciliation processes, and international justice mechanisms. In addition, the Thematic Special Advisor should have strong diplomatic skills and be capable of working in a challenging and fluid context.
Specific tasks include, but are not limited to:
- In coordination with the Deputy Chief of Staff (Strategy, Monitoring and Evaluation) and as per the JMEC strategic policy and instructions of the Chairperson and Deputy Chairperson, follows up the transitional justice sectoral implementation of the Agreement by the TGoNU;
- In coordination with the Thematic Special Advisor for Legal and Constitutional Affairs, serves as primary liaison to the Ministry of Justice and Constitutional Affairs in the TGoNU in order to assess compliance with the ARCSS.
- Serves as the primary JMEC interlocutor with existing and new institutions established by the ARCSS, including the Commission for Truth, Reconciliation and Healing (CTRH); the Hybrid Court for South Sudan (HCSS); and the Compensation and Reparation Authority (CRA) processes, working in close collaboration with other relevant national and international partners, including the African Union, as appropriate; engage and monitor other relevant Pre-Transitional and Transitional institutions, mechanisms and processes, as necessary. Reports on the work of these institutions and mechanisms to the JMEC leadership; identifies needs for assistance of the institutions and mechanisms as appropriate.
- Advises the JMEC Leadership through the Deputy Chief of Staff (Strategy, Monitoring and Evaluation):
- on the role and interplay between these different bodies and institutions, and assists in developing strategies and priorities for JMEC engagement in the transitional justice sector.
- on challenges and deficiencies in the work of the Pre-Transitional and Transitional institutions, and identifies opportunities for correction, where appropriate;
- Contributes to reporting requirements of JMEC to national and international interlocutors as provided for in Chapter VII of the Agreement;
- Contributes to development of JMEC reports, policy, working papers and memoranda;
- In coordination with the Chief of Staff and the Deputy Chiefs of Staff, liaise with international partners on relevant thematic issues, and collaborates with external subject matter experts and consultants, where necessary;
- Serves as Secretary to the transitional justice thematic working committee, working closely with other members of the committee drawn from the JMEC members.
- Assists the JMEC Leadership, the Chief of Staff and the Deputy Chief of Staff (Strategy, Monitoring and Evaluation) with all other tasks, as required.
Interested candidates may send their expression of interest and CV to: email@example.com